Hey there, fellow brand photographers! Today, we’re diving into a topic that might seem small but can make a huge impact on your photography sessions: styling your session and choosing the right clothes. Whether you’re working with a business owner, a model, or a couple, the way you approach styling can significantly influence the outcome of your shoot. So, let’s talk about the importance of styling, not only for your photos but also for your clients.
Setting the Stage for Success
Think of your photography session as a stage, and styling is the set design. Just as a well-designed stage enhances the story of a play, thoughtful styling can elevate the narrative of your brand photography.
1. Reflecting the Brand Identity: When you’re shooting for a brand, understanding their identity is crucial. The choice of clothing, props, and location should all align with the brand’s message and values. For instance, a fitness brand would likely choose activewear and a gym setting, while a high-end fashion label might opt for elegant, sophisticated attire and a glamorous backdrop.
2. Creating a Cohesive Visual Story: Every brand has a story to tell. Styling helps you weave that story visually. The colors, textures, and overall aesthetic of the wardrobe and props should work together to convey a consistent message. This cohesiveness not only looks great but also helps your clients build a strong, recognizable brand.
3. Setting the Mood: Different styles of clothing and accessories can evoke various moods and emotions. Soft pastels might create a dreamy, romantic atmosphere, while bold, vibrant colors can give a lively, energetic vibe. Your styling choices play a pivotal role in setting the mood for the shoot.
Boosting Client Confidence
Now, let’s talk about how styling can make your clients/models feel like a million bucks.
1. Confidence Boost: When your subjects feel comfortable and confident in their outfits, it shines through in the photos. Encourage your clients to wear clothes that make them feel good about themselves. Confidence is not only attractive but also infectious.
2. Highlighting Best Features: The right clothing can accentuate your clients’ best features and downplay any insecurities. For example, darker colors can create a slimming effect, while well-fitted attire can emphasize body contours. Providing guidance on wardrobe choices can help your clients look and feel their best.
3. Personal Expression: Styling is a fantastic way for your clients to express themselves and their brand. Encourage them to incorporate their personality into the shoot through their clothing choices. It’ll not only result in more authentic photos but also make the experience more enjoyable for your clients.
Practical Tips for Styling Success
So, how can you ensure a successful styling process for your brand photography sessions?
1. Collaborate: Work closely with your clients to understand their vision and preferences. Ask for mood boards, color palettes, or examples of styles they admire. This collaborative approach ensures you’re on the same page from the start.
2. Offer Wardrobe Guidance: If your clients are unsure about what to wear, provide them with a style guide or suggestions. Consider creating a Pinterest board with outfit ideas that align with their brand’s aesthetic.
3. Encourage Versatility: Encourage your clients to bring multiple outfit options. This allows you to experiment with different looks during the session and adds variety to the final gallery.
4. Pay Attention to Details: Don’t overlook the small details. Accessories, footwear, and even hairstyle can play a significant role in styling. These details can elevate a good photo to a great one.
5. Test Lighting and Colors: If possible, test how the chosen wardrobe interacts with your lighting setup. Some colors may reflect or absorb light differently, affecting the overall look of your photos.
Remember, styling isn’t just about making your photos aesthetically pleasing; it’s about telling a compelling visual story and making your clients feel like stars. So, put on your stylist hat, collaborate with your clients, and watch your brand photography sessions transform into unforgettable experiences that resonate with your clients and their audience.
If you use any of this advice I would love it if you tagged me and told me how it helped you so I can cheer you on!
Thank you for being here!